TBalla04

99 problems, and a book ain't one

Hello. My name is Tricia, and I have an addiction, an addiction to fiction. Fellow addicts, I welcome you with open arms. Blogger over @ bookwormcoalition.wordpress.com

Dark Dreams and Dead Things (Dark Things) (Volume 2)
Martina McAtee
Molten Dusk
Karissa Laurel
The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga)
Elise Kova

THE FEVER BY: MEGAN ABBOTT

The Fever: A Novel - Megan Abbott

Well....that was....interesting. Honestly I'm kind of torn about my feelings on The Fever. There were some things I really liked, but the pacing was kind of a big time buzz kill. All together I guess I'm somewhere in the middle.

The Fever was pretty scary in a lot of ways. You're really left floundering through much of the story. As the characters start getting more frantic in their search for answers, so are you. I really loved the way the author took so many real, relevant things, and brought them out to play here. What would you do if some kind of unnamable illness suddenly debilitated your perfectly healthy child? As a parent I can say that I would damn sure want to know what it is, and why it's happening. What started with one girl, started spreading to more teenage girls in the same school.

(well maybe not yo' wife....but definitely yo' kids lol)

As this scary illness is spreading, and none of the school officials or doctors have any real answers, parents and students alike start panicking. I could see most of the way that things went down in this book as something that could definitely happen in real life, and that made the whole thing quite frightening.

People, especially when they are scared, can be quick to point fingers at others, and this came into play here. I absolutely loved the whole vaccination scare....this is something that you can't help but to hear about now a days. I know I scroll through my Facebook newsfeed and see a few anti-vacs posting their views all over the interwebs.

And with big name celebs jumping on the bandwagon, it's become a rather big and controversial issue. People seem to feel very strongly about it on each side. I really like to see real issues like this come up in books!

I also liked the portrayal of the teenagers and the whole high school experience in general in The Fever. It felt familiar and also far away at the same time. I can still remember lots of things about being a teenager in high school, but thank goodness I don't recall it with the same extreme pubescent emotions that I had back then!

"And so," Tom said, "marked for life."
    "That's what high school does."
    "And everything else." he said, smiling.

It's true though...whether it be the good or the bad, or some combination of both, high school marked everyone in their own ways. There was beyond, the scholarly knowledge gained, some social and personal knowledge gained in those walls too. This is something universally relatable and I enjoyed that element as well. You saw the kids living through it, and also the parents from their side of it too.

What I didn't care for was the extremely slow pace of the story. I can appreciate a slower build, but it just seemed too long a wait in between things happening. For me it was a little too much with all the internal monologues. I was always eager for the next thing to happen, and for answers, and was left waiting a lot of the time for those things.

I did enjoy this story for the most part, and would be curious to read more from this author. The end really surprised me too, which is always pretty nice. If you're looking for lots of action, then this isn't the book for you. But if you are looking for something a little different, with a slow building mystery, that brings some real life scary things to the table for you to think about, then you'll probably enjoy this book.