TBalla04

99 problems, and a book ain't one

Hello. My name is Tricia, and I have an addiction, an addiction to fiction. Fellow addicts, I welcome you with open arms. Blogger over @ bookwormcoalition.wordpress.com

The Descendants: A Novel

The Descendants - Kaui Hart Hemmings This book was crazy. I couldn't even imagine being in the situation that Mr. King was in. It would be an absolute nightmare. I think I must be a lesser person because I have a hard time seeing myself doing what he tried to do for his wife.

Each character really brought an interesting element to the story. My heart went out to each of them, even Joanie in the end. I know that sounds a little crewel that I didn't automatically sympathize with the lady in a coma but honestly she just didn't sound like that great of a person. I think that Joanie was a foolish, selfish woman and it showed all the way through with the way she was with her children, husband and even her friends. In the end though it was hard not to feel a little sorry for her, she made many poor decisions in life and she will never get a chance to make things better or know that she chose wrong. She had picked herself over her family and had she been around for the outcome she would have been the one to know loss.

Matt King was no angel either, he clearly had his priorities out of order but he really seemed to come around and want to do better in the end. Alex and Scottie were both interesting kids, they obviously have some pretty big issues but with their whole family dynamic it wasn't hard to see why they are the way they are. Sid was an interesting character, although I'm not quite sure if this story needed him in there or not.

I have to say I was really surprised to see how the whole story turned out. There were a few things that I really didn't see coming, and I liked that.