TBalla04

99 problems, and a book ain't one

Hello. My name is Tricia, and I have an addiction, an addiction to fiction. Fellow addicts, I welcome you with open arms. Blogger over @ bookwormcoalition.wordpress.com

Dark Dreams and Dead Things (Dark Things) (Volume 2)
Martina McAtee
The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga)
Elise Kova

The Demonologist: A Novel

The Demonologist - Andrew Pyper I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, and I was so excited to get it! Thank you, Simon and Schuster for providing me with an Advance Reader's Edition of The Demonologist! I enjoyed reading this book, it was clever and very well written.

There were a few parts that didn't sit well with me though. I found the strange instantaneous leap from an adamant "non believer" to complete acceptance of demonic existence to be a little strange. After only just having one strange encounter with the man(or demon, I guess) at the mysterious assignment. That was disappointing, there was no denial, or transition, it was a hair trigger change of beliefs. It felt very off. To me, an adamant non believer would fight against even what his eyes and ears were telling him he was witnessing....there would be at the very least some doubt. I also thought that the ending felt rushed and it left me with quite a few questions. Although this could have been done like that to let us readers interprete these things in our own way. It just wasn't a strong conclusion and left too many things unanswered for me to thoroughly enjoy it.

Now for the positives, I loved the following of the signs. Once that really picked up, I found that I couldn't put the story down. The last half of the book definitely had that creepy factor! I made sure all the lights were on and I wasn't sitting alone while reading lol. The Ryes sisters were probably the most unnerving of all, for me. Also, after David had left the sister's house I thought I had the rest of the book figured out...but I was wrong. And while it's enjoyable to be right, being wrong means there are surprises and I like not being able to figure everything out before it happens! I also enjoyed finding out more about David's family and the deep, dark connection that they all unknowingly shared.

So, ultimately I found The Demonologist to be a creepy and enjoyable read. I am so glad that I got the opportunity to be one if the first people to enjoy this novel!