TBalla04

99 problems, and a book ain't one

Hello. My name is Tricia, and I have an addiction, an addiction to fiction. Fellow addicts, I welcome you with open arms. Blogger over @ bookwormcoalition.wordpress.com

SKY IN THE DEEP BY ADRIENNE YOUNG

Sky in the Deep - Adrienne  Young

This book was a bit of a slow starter for me. While things were interesting enough at the beginning, it wasn't till the last half of the book where I became truly invested in it. I feel like maybe some of that was because it took me quite awhile to warm up to the characters. I just wasn't invested in the main character, Eelyn, for a long time. By the end I did feel more for her, but it took some time to get there. I think most of that came from the mercurial relationship between Eelyn and her brother.

I was also expecting more of the story in general. I was really excited to read about this mix of mythology and Vikings but I felt like those aspects fell short of my expectations. I think a lot of those elements that were a part of the story were the obvious ones, how intense the call to battle is and the idol worship, but I didn't see much that went beyond the surface there.

I liked the overall message of discovering that the enemy isn't always some unredeemable monster, but more often than not a person just like you, a shade of grey, a person capable of good and bad, darkness and light, with family and friends and people that love them. That was, to me, the best part of this story and undoubtedly the most compelling.

*I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley and this is my honest review*