TBalla04

99 problems, and a book ain't one

Hello. My name is Tricia, and I have an addiction, an addiction to fiction. Fellow addicts, I welcome you with open arms. Blogger over @ bookwormcoalition.wordpress.com

Dark Dreams and Dead Things (Dark Things) (Volume 2)
Martina McAtee
Molten Dusk
Karissa Laurel
The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga)
Elise Kova

THE BONE WITCH BY: RIN CHUPECO

The Bone Witch - Rin Chupeco

It is so hard to say I wasn't at least slightly disappointed in this book. And who knows, maybe that is my own fault. This premise had such sweet sweet promise. My expectations were high. And I have read previous books by Rin Chupeco before and really enjoyed them. I wouldn't go as far as to say I did not enjoy The Bone Witch, but it definitely did not live up to my high expectations.

The jumps between a young Tea discovering what she is and the current Tea in exile was initially intriguing to me. I wanted to know how this small, rather timid young girl found herself in such an interesting place. Honestly, most of my issue was with the very slow movement of things for, well, most of the book. While I found parts of young Tea's journey in the beginning interesting, her as a character was not the most engaging. Her true appeal to me more often than not was her power, which was a little of a let down in itself as we rarely got to see her wield it. Her power and the world Chupeco created was really fantastic, as were the stories and quirks of some of the side characters, like Lady Mykeala.

I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. But in the end I can't help but think maybe if the characters (namely Tea) were just a bit more compelling, or maybe if there were a few more twists or bursts of something exciting or gripping amidst the sometimes painstaking descriptions of everything. Always a MAYBE IF. If that something more, something special, something charming happened more than this book could really be something pretty amazing. It had its moments, but I'm not quite sure those moments evened the rest of the waiting for that something special truly worth it. I think I would give the next book a try. I still, after everything, see so much potential here. It would be amazing to see this story really develop in the way I hope it will. I am prepared to still hold on to that hope a little while longer.

I received an ARC of this book from SOURCEBOOKS Fire via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.